Serial Port problem on a Sun Sparc 20

Hi,

I just plugged the cradle into the serial port of my Sparc 20
workstation. Then I have installed the PilotManager and finally have
tried the first HotSync as explained in the PilotManager web page. The
result was the following:

02/06/98 15:26:24   Please press the Hotsync button on your Pilot cradle
02/06/98 15:26:54   Unable to connect to the Pilot.  Sync aborted.

It seems that the port is not correct (I am trying to use /dev/ttya) or that
it is not activated:

- How can I fix the problem?
- I don't know anything about serial ports on unix machines... where can
  I learn?
- Do I need to be root to fix the problem (I am not root and I would
  prefer not to bother the sysadmi staff with that)?

Many thanks,

Thierry