Re: larger issue (Re: Linux install misses Tk)

On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 10:23:11AM -0800, Keith Edwards wrote:
> I, for one, would *love* to see PilotManager written in Java.  For one
> thing it would give me a consistent UI for syncing on both the PC and
> on the Sun.  Second, I think we'd encourage more conduit development
> if conduits could be written in Java rather than Perl.
>
> The major problem would seem to be the lack of serial port control in
> Java, which would require a bit of native code...

	I do not believe your assumption about getting more conduits in
java is correct.  I know that it is much, much easier to piece apart
database formats and parse strings in perl than it could ever be in java.
	N.B., there is a pilot-link interface for java.  Serial port
access, I don't think, is an issue any more.  Someone correct me if I'm
wrong.

	What I would *LIKE* to see if a conduit interface for different
languages.  Perhaps the PilotManager can allow conduit access through
sockets.  Therefore, information gets passed to and from a Unix Domain
socket to the conduit and through the PilotManager to the pilot.  Would
that be feasible?

-Seth

--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"