Re: larger issue (Re: Linux install misses Tk)

> Half a year ago I asked Bharat why he hadn't written Pilotmanager in
> Java. The main reason was the support for the serial port. I haven't
> looked at the pilotmanager sources in a while, but given the problems
> people report with with software package dependencies (Tcl, Perl, CDE),
> wouldn't it be worth to take a deep breath and port the whole thing to
> Java? That would settle it once and for all. Just a thought. I'd be
> willing to contribute, but I don't know Perl that well.

Actually, I'm happy that it isn't in Java.  I run PilotManager on a Sun
running SunOS 4.1.3 which does NOT have a java runtime environment.  Also,
I know Perl a *whole* lot better than I know Java, so it's easier for me
to fix problems and write new stuff.

                                                Adam Stein
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx