Re: Solaris based phone list GUI tool anyone?

    Mitch> Anybody have any recommendations for a Solaris based tool
    Mitch> (maybe Tcl/Tk) for managing personal contacts.  We keep one
    Mitch> central list for the office that everyone shares.  I'd like
    Mitch> others to be able to use/update the database, so it has to
    Mitch> be useable by people who don't have a Pilot.  Ideally it
    Mitch> would use either the pilot or the namelistx database
    Mitch> format, but if not, I guess it's Perl to the rescue to
    Mitch> periodically merge it into my Pilot Address book.  Anybody
    Mitch> else doing something like this?

I use yrolo or bbdb.  Yrolo is a motif-based PIM, bbdb is an add-on
for Emacs/XEmacs.  I have some perl code that converts nameslist
format to either of these formats (used to have xrolodex and pilot
formats as well until my RCS repository went *boom*, now I gotta
recreate those later revs).

You can get a solaris binary of yrolo (and xrolodex) from:

/net/legba.corp/usr/local/bin/yrolo
/net/legba.corp/usr/local/bin/xrolodex

The script is located at /net/legba.corp/usr/local/bin/make_yrolo (it
works for both bbdb and yrolo) and it is pretty quick.  On my ultra 1,
it converted the entire nameslist in:

legba:$ time ./make_yrolo.pl -fy -o names.yrolo

real    0m21.846s
user    0m13.800s
sys     0m0.470s

for yrolo format and:

legba:$ time ./make_yrolo.pl -fb -o names.bbdb

real    0m22.331s
user    0m15.050s
sys     0m0.450s

for bbdb format.

I also keep converted entire copies of the nameslist in both formats
at:

/net/legba.corp/usr/local/share/names.(bbdb|yrolo)

I'm planning on re-adding pilot and xrolo format (had 'em btc[1]) as
soon as I get some breathing room.

Both tools use plain-text format databases.

-- Gary F.

Footnotes:
[1]  Before The Crash