Re: Names list into Pilot?

> Nice, but I'm sure the Michael was asking what I've been asking:
> how do get I phone numbers, names, etc. into my Address book, not
> just into a Memo.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what, besides my flat grep file, I want to
> use on Unix to store names and addresses, so that I can then write a
> conduit for it.  So far the only thing I've really come up with is xrolo.
> Anyone else use anything on Unix that has similar functionality to Pilot's
> Address book so that one could translate data back and forth?

I also used to used xrolo.

One solution is to use a product called ActionManager, which was
written by a gentleman who used to work for Sun consulting.
It has nameslist integration as an example of how deeply it is
integrated with the Sun world. OpenLook Xview application.

You can get a free demo copy from  www.amh.com. You can save up to
30 records in the demo version. It is not rocket science to work out
the data format of the underlying text file format. I have bought a license
and store about 2,300 names and address's in it.

I have written a web-based thing (html,perl,cgi) which uses a common datafile
format to AMH which allows a sales office of 10-15 to update a common text file,
and it add the following functionality:-

all time-stamps are year 2K compliant
all information is timestamped, thus allowing queries saying "show me a list
of all customers our office has not touched for 12 months...."
There are newton, pilot, sharp and casio output reports ready to go.
There are a bunch of other query tools which you don't want to know about.

I have been watching this mail list with interest, and have downloaded
all the pilot stuff, but have not done anything with it. At the moment
my xfer is one way to pilot... I have not done the synchronisation.
I am currently managing 4,400 names and address's on a flat text file.
(yeah, yeah yeah, I know I should put it in a database...), about 2000 in
the pilot.

This app is about 3 weeks away from ready to be posted,
but if there is interest, I could roll up the customer component
and submit it "for peer review".

If there is interest, I could divert myself from trying to get many reports
finished, and post a subset.

Rgds Roger De Salis - New Zealand