losing communication after a few seconds

I'm a brand new user.  My Sparcstation IPX runs Solaris 2.5.  I have
serial ports with those little DIN connectors.  At first, I thought
that caused my problems.

I configured PilotManager to use 38400 bps.  I didn't know I was
supposed to press the icon before hitting the hotsync button.  I
thought the cable was totally dead.  Ok, so now I'm past that
problem...

I pressed the icon, and it told me to hit the hotsync button.  It gave
the three cutesy tones and starts syncing.  It got to the point of
identifying user.  Then the pilot said

	HotSync Problem

	The connection between your PalmPIlot and the desktop was
	lost.  Some of your data was NOT backed up.  Please check your
	setup and try again.

The PilotManager freezes totally, and I had to kill it.  I tried 19200
and I got farther.  I guess that's something to know about an IPX.
Perhaps it can't handle 38400.

It synced successfully, or at least it thinks so.  I set up memo and
backup, since I don't use cm, at least not yet.  But it said

	No memo files found.

and that's not true.  I am not sure of what the various fields in the
properties menus mean, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks, folks!

Tom