Re: [PilotMgr] Kyocera Smartphone

>Dave,
>Just one more question about the Kyocera...
>I understand that it supports SMS.  So you can receive
>text pages without being dialed in to the internet.
>But is there any way to reply to a text message, other
>than dialing in to the internet and emailing?
>I would love it if this thing could replace my 2-way
>pager easily (without having to dial in to the internet
>preferably)

That is a great question. Yes, the phone gets SMS messages,
up to 100 characters, to <phone#>@messaging.sprintpcs.com.
If you get a message (interrupt driven, not polled), then,
AFAIK, you must log into the network before you can
send a message back to the pager or cellphone or whatever.

But the login process is automatic, which is nice. No user
intervention. Just draft your reply and hit send.

And if you want to start a chat session, same thing. Just
type in a message and hit send. The login process is
transparent.

I just haven't settled on the best tool and interface for
doing 2-way instant message chat sessions. It can be done.
Some ways are better than others.

Check back in a couple weeks. :-)

-- Dave