[PilotMgr] Sync problems

I recently purchased a Palm IIIxe.  According to the Info screen, it has
PalmOSv3.5.0  I can't get it to sync with my linux box at all.  I can't
get pilot-link to work, so no other software has a chance.  The serial
port I'm using works fine when connected to a modem, but the palm times
out without ever making a connection.  ("The connection between your
handheld computer and the desktop could not be established.")

My system has:
pilot-link-0.9.3
perl v5.6.0

I apologize if this is not the appropriate list for such a post, but it
seems the pilot-link list is now defunct.  If anyone can help I would
appreciate it.

Thank You,
Michael Smith