[PilotMgr] UPDATE 2: Syncing a Palm with a SunRay using PilotManager

The improvements keep coming in.  Thanks to Johnson Earls for the
latest.

--andy

PilotManager with a SunRay
Andy Poggio
30 Nov 00

0.  You need SunRay 1.2 or later software.  This should be the case with
SunRays installed after the date of this document.

1.  Purchase a SunRay-compatible serial to USB adapter.  I am using an
Edgeport/2 purchased directly from IONetworks (www.ionetworks.com).  You
can phone Cathy Collins at 512/306.1124; she offers a 20% discount to
Sun.

2.  Plug the adapter into a SunRay USB port.  On the Edgeport/2 the
front panel light will blink green.  I have never seen it stay a steady
green as the manual describes.  It blinks yellow when you have serial
traffic passing thru it.

3.  Connect your Palm cradle to port 1 on the Edgeport.

4.  To locate the device, type:
     # 	cd $UTDEVROOT/dev/term

5.  In the term directory, find the device; for my Edgeport/2 port 1 it
is:
    Inside_Out_Networks.04-05-005558a

6.  Make a symbolic link to a unique identifier in your home directory;
for example, /home/poggio/pilotmgrporta, by typing:
     # ln -s $UTDEVROOT/dev/term/Inside_Out_Networks.04-05-005558a \
     /home/poggio/pilotmgrporta

7.  Start PilotManager.  In Properties under the File menu, set the
Pilot Port to your symbolic link:  /home/poggio/pilotmgrporta.  Set the
comm speed to 115200.

8. Sync your Palm.  You may see some delays at the beginning and end of
the sync process, but at the high comm speed things should be faster
overall.