Re: Netscape and Pilotmgr

> HoltryF wrote:
> >
> > Jim,
> > I asked a similar question a couple of days ago.  No one has come forward
> > so far.  I have looked at the problem and believe that SyncCM could be
> > modified to use .vcs files, which Netscape can export and import.  I
> > don't have a full spec for them, but looking at what my Netscape
> > produces, they look fairly straight forward.  The biggest problem may be
> > in trying to deduce repetition frequencies and exceptions, since what's in
> > the file appears to be an entry for each appointment.
> >

> Having used the PilotLink that Netscape provides for Calendar on Win95,
> I agree. Even Netscape does not manage to handle repeated entries, they
> are created as single ones in the Netscape Calendar. Hopefully something
> which is possible to fix.
>
> I am also having some obscure problems w.r.t timezones (probably) as
> sometime new events, created in the Pilot, get moved with a constant
> offset. This causes confusion and repetition of events as the sync seems
> to handle the timezones correctly. I have told Netscape about it, and
> also gotten responses, but so far no solution.
>
> This is just to inform  everybody of my current view of a
> could-be-perfect product. Imagine your pilot getting synced with a
> calendar which you can share with almost any platform... and if the link
> where available on Solaris...
>
>      Thomas
>
> PS. Wonder if Netscape could be persuaded to give away the source for
> their ncpilink pilotlink... DS.

The lack of a "real" repeating event in their export files (all formats) is a
known problem in the Netscape Calendar Manager structure.  It is something
they're going to fix in a new release this year, but I'm not sure exactly when.
 I think they have some kind of incredible kludge inside the Netscape server to
implement repeating events, so you get stuck with it.  You can't hide bad
design with implementation.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx