Why is SyncCM so slow?

Does anyone know why SyncCM takes so long?  Specifically, why does
the bar graph take a very short time to fill the first 75% and a very
long time for the last 25%?  According to SyncCM, my calendar has 21
appointments.  I verified this by examining callog.tomiii in the
/var/spool/calendar directory on my calendar server.  There just
isn't a whole lot of data there.  Yet when SyncCM runs (talking to
my calendar server via 128Kbps ISDN--both channels active) it takes
roughly 7 seconds for the first 75% and an additional 200 seconds
(yes, over 2.5 minutes!) for the last 25%.

As an experiment, I copied my calendar to the local machine to remove
network bandwidth from the test.  This resulted in ~2 seconds for the
first 75% and an additional ~23 seconds for the last 25%.  Much better
than when synchronizing over the network, but still pretty poor for
only 21 appointments.

By the way, I have SyncCM configured as follows:

    Sync All
    Begin Date: **********
    End Date:   **********
    Remove duplicates
    Log all changes
    Full Merge

I would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me as to what's going
on here.

Thanks,
Tom.III