Re: Porting for extensibility and maintainability (was Re: larger issue (Re: Linux install misses Tk))

Whatever happened to the notion of having a choice in software?

I can't envision something that's a mixture of Perl and Java.
You suddenly lose the portablility of Java, and maintain the same
problems that folks are experiencing today with Perl versions.

There's enough of a problem with the versions of Java available to the
diverse hardware platforms... adding the various versions of Perl to it
would just compound the issue.

I've been seriously thinking about writing a Java version from scratch, and
have even begun writing a ToDo Application, to get more familiar with the
data structure, and to fill the ToDo void of the Perl version.  I've been
at a standstill, pondering the conduit issues.
The Java language has matured enough that it should be possible to do the
whole thing in Java, now.

Has anyone checked out IBM's pilotBeans?
There's not alot there, but it's a step in the right direction.

Bert
Since there's already a Perl version,
> From: Platibus <platibus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Roberto Quijalvo <Bert.Quijalvo@East>, "pilotmgr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pilotmgr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Porting for extensibility and maintainability (was Re: larger issue (Re: Linux install misses Tk))
>
> Roberto Quijalvo wrote:
>
> > I would think that developing a Java version would take a while, since
> > I presume we all have something else that we're being paid to do.
>
> Well I try to make my contributions coincide with other products I'm developing, so that should take care of it.
>
> > There's plenty of time,
>
> yes
>
> > and plenty of room for 2 versions of the product.
>
> I disagree. There should be only one.
>
> > I don't wish to drive a wedge into the group either.
>
> that would be inevitable if there are two versions available. Of course development would have to be done in
> parallel, but if at the end we have a java version and a perl version, and people have to decide which one to use
> and which version to write conduits for, we've added confusion instead of making things simpler.
>
> For myself I want to address all the relevant concerns raised yesterday, or leave it be, at least as far as
> pilotmanager is concerned. There is always the option of starting something entirely different from scratch,
> though ... but I'd rather take advantage of all the work that has been done so far.
>
> Thomas

    Bert

Bert Quijalvo                          Sun Microsystems, Inc.
			                Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bert.Quijalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxx             954-797-5918  (x29918)