Re: 5 Pilots Down Because????

With reasonable frequency, my pilot refuses to respond at
all and it has always been like this since I bought in Nov.
of '96. Sometimes twisting the frame gently (or not so
gently :-), solves this problem. Sometimes I have to do
a reset.

The last time this happened, the pilot refused to move
beyond the welcome screen. Not only would it not automatically
shut off, I couldn't physically power it off myself.
Having already lost the data (I back up often), I removed
the batteries and made the little $*()# take a Time Out.
Several hours later, I put the batteries back in and found
the pilot had recovered its composure. All was well and
I restored the rest of my data.

When I go on long trips, I make sure I take my filofax :-)

This brings us to the interesting problem of doing emergency reloads
and general updating remotely, which I know several people have
mentioned.  Given differing firewalls policies, evolving standards and
technologies, and so forth, the problem is not necessarily universally
solvable using one methodology, but enough has been done to make this
a viable (and fun) issue to tackle.

Susan

<pilotmgr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Arthur.Coleman@Eng>
> Subject: Re: 5 Pilots Down Because????
> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:23:15 -0800
>
> I have a friend that had to have his PalmPilot replaced due to loss
of data
> during battery change.  Guess it must be a pretty common problem.
He got no
> hassle from 3com about replacing the unit.  I've replaced my
batteries with
> no loss of data.
>
> Sandy Bauer

System
> >->software fault.  Pilot can't reset, and can't even reboot to a
Welcome to
> >->PalmPilot screen (the opening screen).  Totally hosed system.
> >->
> >->3Com says they know nothing about this - say it has to be some
software
> >->interface problem or, even worse (not that I believe them), a
virus.
> >->
> >->I use the Pilot with SyncCm latest version, also Puma Intellisync
(so I
> can
> >->link into my Goldmine contact manager).
> >->
> >->has anyone else experienced any problem even vaguely similar to
this?
> >->
> >->While 3Com has graciously replaced all of these, I'm to a point
where I'm
> >->about ready to chuck the whole thing and try a different PDA.
But then I