Re: larger issue (Re: Linux install misses Tk)

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Ken Rossman - NYC SE wrote:

> I have to agree with the folks who would like to see a Java implementation.
> I think something like that, if done right, might even be sold back to 3Com
> for use as *THE* version of the PilotManager program that runs on any
> platform and looks and works the same on each (or at least as close as one
> might expect it to anyway).

One thing that maybe missing here in this discussion is something that Ken
just brought up. When I think about rewriting pilotmanager in Java it's
not to just replace pilotmanager as is. Why do that, pilotmanager works
just fine. I'd like to see one app that handles the backup of the pilot
along with displaying the data. If written in Java we'd be able to have
the same interface on Solaris, MacOS, Win95, etc...

I know that alot of people don't like the idea of a monolithic program.
Normally neither do I, but in this case I view the information that I
store on my pilot as a single entity and would like just one app to
deal with that data.

Question to the folks in the Java camp. :-) Does this represent your
feelings or am I walking down a lonesome trail.

Rick