Re: Logging into SWAN

The scroll down button doesn't show the exchange either. Just some
fluffy info about whats going on. I had hoped that there might be some
undocumented feature that would allow a higher level of debug for the
ppp connection that I could utilize.... I'm still hoping for a simple
solution to a simple problem...

#   From: alanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
#   Cc: pilotmgr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
#   Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 08:13:32 -0700 (MST)
#   Subject: Re: Logging into SWAN
#   To: "Charles H. Alexander - ESSG Enterprise Engineering Mgr"
<calexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
#
#   > > What I want to do is to log into the SWAN using a telco line like I do
#   > > from my home system and retrieve email when I'm on the road. I
#   > > purchased the modem for the pilot. I have found, and installed an email
#   > > client that supports imap4 on my pilot. I've set everything up on my
#   > > pilot to support PPP. To complete the setup I need to see the crypto
#   > > challenge when I log in to the SWAN. The standard PPP on the
#   > > professional doesn't appear to let you see the transactions of the
#   > > send/expect sequence. Does anybody have any idea of how I can see this
#   > > information so that I can complete the login and get my email?
#
#
#   The exact sequence of menus to get the desired information is:
#   	Preferences/Network/Menu/Options/View Log
#
#   Thre is a menu item in the script called "Prompt".  I'm not sure how to get
the
#   challenge to appear in the prompt (nor am I completely sure it can).  If
#   pressing down the scroll down button doesn't make the challenge appear, you
#   might have problems.
#
#   As a worst case effort, you might have to use a terminal emulator to dial in
#   the service, then after answering the challenge/response authentication,
start
#   up a connection whose phone number is 00.  The string "00"
#    is a magic phone
#   number saying, don't dial, you're directly connected.  Of course, you have
#   do this fast enough...
#
#   	-- Alan Robertson
#   	   alanr@xxxxxxxxxx

__
| Charles H. Alexander   | ESSG Enterprise Engineering Manager         |
| Sun Microsystems, Inc. | Email: charles.alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxx       |
| 9480 Carroll Park Dr.  | Phone: (619) 625-3790    FAX: (619)625-0641 |
| San Diego, Ca. 92121   | Ext. 53790               Mail Stop: USAN04  |
http://miramar.west.sun.com || http://www.access1.net/gymrat/alex.html