Re: SUN Internal Remote Access via Pilot

Handstamp (another email client) has it's own stack, though I don't know
what it's scripting capabilities are. They may be more amenable to
changes though...

	You have hit at the crux of the issue.. the Enigma challenge system we
use
	for dialin access to SWAN.  Palm, in their infinite wisdom (not!),
doesn't seem
	to have put anything in their PPP connection script language to wait for
	a string containing wildcard characters, or anything to display a string
that
	it receives from the remote end.  Obviously, this makes displaying your
	random challenge code very difficult.  (If somebody has found a way
around this,
	*please* pipe up).

	I've been working this issue in my free time (not very much) through my
	manager, whose sister happens to be a product manager for the Pilot at
3Com.
	They seemed to be interested at first in possibly giving us a patched
version
	(apparently we are not the only company asking for this) of the network
	libraries that would support this, but have cooled considerably on the
idea
	because "we need to show a business case" (my manager's quote).  One
approach I
	could try would be to have all of you at Sun on this list that would
like this
	feature email me, and I could forward these on to my manager's sister at
3Com.
	That may help, but I'm not sure it will turn the tide....

	The other option would be to write a HackMaster extension that traps for
the
	event generated during PPP connection negotiation, and then provides the
	functionality we need.  I believe I saw the event or events that do this
in my
	last perusal through the Palm header files, but it would require a fair
amount
	of research, plus development time that I don't have personally right
now.
	Maybe someone with more time would like to pick this up?

		-Guy Martin
		-SMCC IR

----
Kevin Osborn         Tel. (508) 442-0751
JavaSoft East
Sun Microsystems     Email:kevin.osborn@xxxxxxxxxxxx