.new files

I want to know what are those .new files, e.g.

./Backup.pm.new
./PilotMgr.pm.new
./SyncMemo.pm.new
./PilotMgr/Pilot.pm.new
./src/Makefile.new
./src/libpilot/Makefile.new
./SyncCM/pilot.pm.new

I tried to run PilotMgr.pm.new and got the following errors.

Tk::Error: Undefined subroutine &libpilotc::PilotUser_lastSync_set called at /pubopt/pilotmgr/PilotMgr/libpilot.pm line 422.
 \&TkUtils::__ANON__
 Tk callback for .frame1.button
 Tk::Button::butUp at /pubopt/pilotmgr/lib/Tk/Button.pm line 103
 (command bound to event) at /pubopt/pilotmgr/lib/auto/Tk/Error.al line 13.

Brgs,
Andrew.