Re: pad perl script

Gary R. Combs writes:
>I changed the script to use /usr/dist/exe/perl.
>When I run the script with any options, I get these messages:
>
>syntax error in file /home/grc/bin/pad at line 141, next 2 tokens "read ADB"
>syntax error in file /home/grc/bin/pad at line 150, next 2 tokens "read ADB"
>syntax error in file /home/grc/bin/pad at line 156, next 2 tokens "read ADB"
>syntax error in file /home/grc/bin/pad at line 160, next 2 tokens "read ADB"
>syntax error in file /home/grc/bin/pad at line 167, next 2 tokens "read ADB"
>syntax error in file /home/grc/bin/pad at line 171, next 2 tokens "seek ADB"
>syntax error in file /home/grc/bin/pad at line 183, next 2 tokens "read ADB"
>Execution of /home/grc/bin/pad aborted due to compilation errors.
>Any clue here???

That's surprising.  Those lines are perfectly regular perl statements.

Do you have some kind of local setup where ADB is used as a keyword?
Are you sure you use perl 5 and not perl 4?  You can also try shoving
parentheses around the read statements, e.g. line 141:

    read (ADB, $packedHeader, 78);

Or replace all instances of ADB with ADDRESS_DATABASE or something.
This is about all I can think of.

--Martin

Martin von Weissenberg     <http://www.hut.fi/~mweissen>
"There are true, copper-bottom mistakes like spelling the word 'rabbit'
with three M's; wearing a black bra under a white shirt; or, to take a
more masculine example, starting a land war in Asia." (John Cleese)